Namesake School: P.C. Lujan Elementary
East Barrigada elementary school
Established in 1961, the East Barrigada Elementary School was renamed the Pedro Camacho Lujan Elementary School by Public Law 9-221, enacted on August 1, 1968. In 1972, the school was formally dedicated in his honor. On March 1, 1975 a bronze statue of Pedro Lujan was completed and unveiled at the school site. Today, the school is commonly referred to as P.C. Lujan Elementary School.
Pedro Camacho Lujan was born on September 22, 1908, in Hagåtña, Guam. He was the son of Jesus Garrido Lujan and Felomenia Muna Camacho, both of Hagåtña, Guam. Born and raised in Hagåtña, Lujan attended first grade and graduated from high school at the Guam Leary School.
Clerk, judge, congressman and major
Lujan served a distinguished career in public service and politics on Guam. In 1924, he began working as an apprentice clerk in the Island Court of Guam. He rose through the ranks to chief clerk in 1935 and finally to senior judge, serving as judge from 1948 to 1952.
Politically, Lujan served as a Guam Congressman and was a member of the First Assembly of the old Guam Congress. Later he was elected to the 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th Guam Legislatures.
Lujan also served his island and people as a major in the Guam Militia. As a military leader, he spent his time training young men in character formation and military discipline.
Pedro was married first to Isabel Garcia Garrido and they raised two daughters – Jovita and Julita. He subsequently married Ana Quitugua Fernandez and they raised two step-daughters – Frances A. Hamilton and Gladys F. Hamilton.
Lujan died unexpectedly in August 1961, while serving in the 6th Guam Legislature. He was 52 years old.
Although there is no annual founder’s day celebration in honor of Lujan, a statue is displayed in the front yard and a color portrait and biography are prominently displayed in the main office of the school.
For further reading
Pedro C. Lujan Elementary School (accessed 31 Jan. 2013)