Tropical Fruit Salad: Recipe
Chilled fruit dessert
- 1 medium-sized watermelon
- 1 medium-sized cantaloupe
- 1 medium-sized honeydew melon
- 2 large cans of fruit cocktail
- 2 small cans of mandarin orange
- 2 packages of meat of young coconut (frozen)
- 1 jar “kaong” (fruit of palm) – optional
- 1 small tub of Cool Whip (whipped cream)
Scoop out melons with melon baller. Reserve watermelon shell to serve finished fruit salad.
Drain fruit cocktail and mandarin oranges. Reserve liquid for use in jello or any other dessert.
Thaw out frozen young coconut. Never use while still frozen!
Mix all ingredients together, except cool whip. Chill at least three hours.
Before serving, mix in cool whip.
Delicious as appetizer (before any meal) or as a dessert.
By Jennean Sablan
Editor’s note: This recipe is from Lepblon Fina’tinas Para Guam: Guam Cookbook, 1985. Reprinted with permission from Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo, Y Inetnon Famalao’an* (Women’s Association).
* Y Inetnon Famalao’an was a women’s organization composed of cabinet wives and women executives in the government of Guam.