The Escuela de Niñas built in 1879 by Governor Manuel Brabo y Barrera. Image courtesy of the Micronesian Area Research Center (MARC).

Escuela de Niñas, the first school for girls, opens on Guam. The teachers are paid from an endowment from Queen Mariana of Austria, Spain’s queen regent. One teacher and an assistant taught the young ladies, ages four to eleven. The curriculum consisted of Christian doctrine, reading, writing, arithmetic and sewing.