Red cream of rice soup
- 1 chicken fryer, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup of achote water (Achote or annatto. Mix seeds with water to produce red-colored water.)
- 5 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup rice, toasted and ground (or cream of rice browned in a skillet)
- 1 cup coconut milk (optional)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Sauté garlic in hot oil, then discard garlic. Add onions to oil, along with chicken and achote water. Bring water to a boil, adding chicken broth. Gradually add toasted rice, mixing it in as it is added.
Continue boiling for about 5 minutes until the mixture thickens to desired consistency. Add coconut milk, if desired.
Serve with white rice or serve as a soup.
By Josephina D. Chaco
|Editor’s note:||This recipe is from Lepblon Fina’tinas Para Guam: Guam Cookbook, 1985. Reprinted with permission from Congresswoman Madeleine Z. Bordallo, Y Inetnon Famalao’an (Women’s Association).|
|* Y Inetnon Famalao’an was a women’s organization composed of cabinet wives and women executives in the government of Guam.|